Every patient who suffers from acne has his or her own physical makeup, which consequently impacts our approach to treatment. Understanding the great importance of the successful elimination of acne, we have assembled various treatment options to suit every patient’s needs. Levulan is one such acne treatment used in our Englewood and Lone Tree practices with a high degree of success.
Levulan is a topical medication used in conjunction with photodynamic (light) therapy for the treatment of acne, as well as sun damage and precancerous lesions. Applied to the skin, this medication creates a higher sensitivity in oil glands to subsequent IPL treatment. Different from other popular approaches to acne care, like antibiotics, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels, Levulan with photodynamic therapy is a multifaceted procedure.
First, Levulan inhibits the bacteria that cause acne. The treatment also promotes exfoliation, which helps unclog pores, and causes overactive oil glands to shut down. Safe and effective, the results from this powerful form of acne treatment are long lasting.
What to expect following treatment:
- Redness and mild discomfort that is dependent on skin’s sensitivity. Some patients have only mild redness that lasts a few hours, while others may have a stronger response that lasts a week or more.
- Slight scabbing or flakiness in the treated area, which should clear within a few days to a few weeks.
- Heightened skin sensitivity that may last up to 14 days.
Extra TLC can be provided to the treated area through:
- Avoidance of bright light and natural sunlight for the first 48 hours following treatment. If sun exposure cannot be completely avoided, covering skin with clothing, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunscreen can prevent burning during the first few days of healing.
- Continual daily use of sunscreen regardless of weather. Skin can be damaged even on overcast days.
- Avoidance of exposure to excessive heat, such as a hot shower, strenuous exercise, sauna, or hot tub for the first day or two following treatment.
- Avoidance of skin care products that may be harsh, such as hydroxy-acids or other exfoliants. Speak with our staff to determine the best skin care products to use after Levulan acne treatment.
Successfully handling acne prevents scarring, and eliminates the emotional impact that comes from mild to severe breakouts. To discover your best skin, contact us for your appointment at AboutSkin Dermatology.