Wondering what you'll look like with injectables? Use Our AI Simulator! To envision your desired outcome.Book Now
Improve Symptoms of Aging and Skin Damage in the Denver Area
Laser resurfacing in Denver is one of the fundamental treatments in minimizing etched-in lines and wrinkles on the aging face. Improving imprinted lines and wrinkles on the face can be one of the most dramatic ways to literally “turn back some years on the clock”—and AboutSkin Dermatology has the best technology and equipment to help in this quest.
Our practice founder and director, Dr. Joel Cohen, has published extensively on the topic of laser resurfacing (click here for some of his articles that also show before/after photos), lectures throughout the world on the subject (including some of the largest plastic surgery and dermatology meetings in the US, Europe, and Australia), is a trainer/Center of Excellence director for many laser companies (Sciton, Candela, Lutronic, etc.), and participates in regular clinical trials for the latest innovations in equipment and techniques. AboutSkin is dedicated to helping your journey with experience, efficacy and innovations.
In general, facial rejuvenation is defined as the improvement of the changes associated with aging, sun exposure, environmental factors, and genetics—especially increased skin pigmentation, redness and blood vessels, texture and laxity changes, and, of course, wrinkles.
Improvement in skin texture, laxity, and wrinkling (especially those wrinkles present when the face is at rest) is best accomplished with ablative laser resurfacing treatments. Acne scarring and pigmentation are also frequently treated with laser resurfacing. During this cosmetic dermatology procedure, laser energy removes some of the damaged skin layers to a defined depth—and then your body goes to work to remodel and deposit new, smoother, collagen-rich skin.
Laser resurfacing has evolved over the years to become safer and more effective. Early laser technology from several years ago had significantly more potential for discoloration/pigment changes (many patients are familiar with the older technology that often caused loss of pigment that highlighted the junction between the whitish treated skin versus the adjacent untreated skin) or even scarring. Today, the new laser resurfacing technology at AboutSkin can achieve more consistent, more effective, and more predictable results—a much better balance between results and risks.
Current laser resurfacing technology can be finely tuned to address the specific concerns of each unique patient while also factoring in acceptable downtime, cost, and goals. We are fortunate to have many different laser platforms to choose from at AboutSkin Dermatology, which ensures that you receive a “tailored treatment” for your individual skin-care needs and goals. We often employ a few different lasers during a single laser resurfacing session—not just the one laser that happens to be on-hand.
Full-Field Ablative Erbium Laser Resurfacing (NuRadiance)
- 100% of the targeted surface area is treated
- Most effective laser resurfacing for etched-lines imprinted in the skin, especially around the mouth (“smoker’s lines”) and wrinkles around the eyes (click here for Dr. Cohen’s publications on this topic)
- Excellent results with more improvement per treatment and fewer overall number of treatment sessions than fractional resurfacing technologies
- More results, but also more downtime than fractional laser devices—with swelling, oozing, and crusting often for up to 2 weeks and then pink color for usually several weeks
- More predictable results and less complications than old-fashioned full-field CO2 resurfacing
- Very significant results/improvement usually seen after one laser resurfacing treatment, sometimes two
Fractional Ablative Laser Resurfacing (CO2 and Erbium)
- Fractions of target-area skin are treated in columns of vaporized tissue (micro-thermal zones), and these treated columns are replaced by new, healthier tissue through collagen-stimulation and healing
- CO2 and Erbium laser resurfacing systems are available (Candela-Syneron CO2RE, Sciton Erbium ProFractional, Cynosure 2940 Erbium) (click here for Dr. Cohen’s publications on this topic)
- Typically redness, oozing, some crusting, and peeling for 5-7 days
- Low complication rate (decreased risk of scarring, pigment alteration, prolonged redness)
- Often performed as part of a series of laser resurfacing treatments (average of 2-3 sessions)
HALO 2.0 Hybrid Fractional Laser Resurfacing
- Dr. Cohen published as “lead author” the FIRST paper and clinical study about combining ablative and non-ablative wavelengths in one session, which served as groundwork to lead to Halo (click here for Dr. Cohen’s publication on this topic)
- Dr. Cohen also was also involved in the development and testing of the 2.0 software update for Halo 2.0
- Halo 2.0 is one of the newest fractional laser resurfacing technologies available
- Halo is a laser of choice for skin rejuvenation when recovery time is limited
- Reduced healing time compared to ablative fractional laser alone (average of 4-5 days): mild oozing for 1-2 days and then mild redness, “coffee-grounding,” and peeling
- Very low complication risk of pigment alteration, prolonged redness, or scarring
- Requires series of laser resurfacing treatments (usually average of 2-3 sessions)
- To help with same-session efficacy, may be combined with other technologies (BBL, Q-switched laser, MaxG, PDL, etc.)
- Effective simultaneous targeting of both deep and superficial layers of the skin (combines benefits of deep non-ablative pulse with more superficial fractional ablative pulse through columns in the skin)
Non-ablative Fractional Laser Resurfacing (Thulium 1927nm and 1540nm Erbium)
- Creates columns of very specific wavelength tissue interaction to create healthier-looking skin without much downtime at all (no significant “social downtime” in most cases)
- Useful for rejuvenating sun-damaged skin, improving skin-tone and acne scars without the downtime of ablative devices
- Technology includes (Lutronic LaseMD/LaseMD ULTRA™ thulium 1927 laser, Cynosure ICON 1540 XF and XD)
- No wound-healing or weeping wounds, just a few days of pink (and sometimes some very mild swelling)
- Very, very low complication risk of scarring, pigment alteration, prolonged redness, but the tradeoff for less downtime is definitely less overall improvement per laser resurfacing session than ablative laser resurfacing (fractional and full-field ablative laser resurfacing)
- Requires a series of treatment sessions for optimal improvement
- Great as part of an acne scar treatment regimen to avoid downtime (frequently paired with minimal-downtime radiofrequency microneedling Genius RF, either on the same day or in a different session)
- Also, great as a “maintenance laser” a few times a year or even every few months (especially after having done ablative laser in the past).
- Erbium 2940nm microlaser peel (MLP) provides the effects of a moderate to deep chemical peel—but with MORE precision, control, and consistency than a chemical peel.
- Face, neck, chest, and hands are frequently treated areas to improve sun damage, as well as crepey skin
- Improves pigment and texture, leading to smoother and brighter skin
- Often combined with pulsed light or other laser (BBL, MaxG, Q-switched laser, or IPL) to address stubborn brown spots
- Redness, mild crusting, peeling for a few days (depending on level of treatment and passes)
- Very low complication risk (pigment alteration, discoloration, or scarring)
- Usually a series of treatment sessions for optimal results
How Can We Help You?
Experience compassionate and effective care for your skin's medical needs with our expert dermatology team.
Unlock the beauty of your skin with our personalized cosmetic dermatology treatments and procedures.
Join us in advancing dermatological knowledge and treatment options through our groundbreaking clinical research initiatives.
What our patients say about usBOOK NOW
Dr. Cohen is 'a derm's derm' -- his published research and opinions are sought after by other dermatologists obsessed with the latest innovations in cosmetic dermatology, including lasers, neuromodulators, and fillers. He's also trained many of these derms. Dr. Cohen is arguably one of the best in the U.S., though he's not flashy or self promoting --just intensely focused on achieving elegant, successful results. I stumbled into his practice quite by accident, and could not be happier. His PA Christina is also phenomenal.
I am so pleased with the high level of expertise and care I have received from Dr. Cohen, Dr. Ho and his medical assistants Cristina and Emily. From the Mohs surgery, to a multitude of lasers, to skin checks; the doctors have been extremely conscientious and strive to have a relationship with their patients. I am thrilled with the results of my cosmetic procedures and surgery. In addition, They are kind and very humble providers. It truly is an honor to be a patient of Dr. Cohen and to be a valued patient of his medical practice. Truly the best in the country.. and The World. Thank you Dr. Cohen and Dr. Ho and staff!
Have been a patient of Dr. Stoler for a long time. She knows me well and takes excellent care of my skin. Also gives good and appropriate advice!
Dr. Joel Cohen was highly recommended to me by several other dermatologists for his expertise in laser technology. I was not only impressed with the treatment I received from Dr. Cohen, but also his wonderful, highly skilled staff. The entire experience was top notch!
This is the BEST dermatology and cosmetic location you will ever find! Truthfully they give all the attention and care anyone could ask for. I’m always blown away at their kindness and their service. Doctor Jade Fettig always takes her time to talk to me, answer any questions and recommend the best treatment. Highly highly recommend AboutSkinDermatology. You will love it there too guaranteed! =)
Dr. Stoler is the best!
I have been a patient of About Skin Dermatology for over 12 years. Everyone that I have ever encountered at this practice has been knowledgeable and very kind. I see both Dr. Ho and Dr. Cohen. My skin has not looked this good in years. My whole family goes to this practice. I would highly recommend About Skin Dermatology.
Dr Fettig was great- took her time with me and answered my questions. She has a nice bedside manner and good sense of humor.
I used Dr. Cohen for a Mohs procedure. He is fellowship trained and extremely competent. Dr. Cohen remained involved in my follow up care with a plastic surgeon and was always readily accessible and available to address my concerns. Both he and the office staff are caring and committed to providing the highest level of professional service. I highly recommend Dr. Cohen. I think it’s very nice.
I have been impressed with my Botox treatment from Dr Cohen at AboutSkin Dermatology. He and his staff are incredibly professional and pleasant. Maddie is always flexible and accommodating with my hectic schedule. Dr. Cohen takes time and a genuine interest in his patients. I highly recommend him for any cosmetic procedures.
Dr Stephen Ho is a fantastic dermatologist. He takes the time to listen to concerns and he patiently and thoroughly explains procedures and diagnostics.
Dr. Jade Fettig is so kind, thoughtful, and good at what she does. You can tell she really cares about her patients and makes what could be awkward check-ups into comfortable, and pleasant experiences.The office lounge is clean, updated and really relaxing. Absolutely recommend her as a provider!
Dr Rothstein is amazing. Very thorough during her exams and explains everything as she goes along. The staff is great as well! Best physician I have in the Denver area.
Dr. Joel Cohen is a superbly skilled dermatologist as well as a most caring doctor who always put his patient's best interest first and foremost